GANNETT NEWSPAPER DIVISION PRINCIPLES OF ETHICAL CONDUCT FOR NEWSROOMS
WE ARE COMMITTED TO:
Seeking and reporting the truth in a truthful way
- We will dedicate ourselves
to reporting the news accurately, thoroughly and in context.
- We will be honest in the
way we gather, report and present news.
- We will be persistent in
the pursuit of the whole story.
- We will keep our word.
- We will hold factual information
in opinion columns and editorials to the same standards of accuracy
as news stories.
- We will seek to gain sufficient
understanding of the communities, individuals and stories we
cover to provide an informed account of activities.
Serving the public interest
- We will uphold First Amendment
principles to serve the democratic process.
- We will be vigilant watchdogs
of government and institutions that affect the public.
- We will provide the news
and information that people need to function as effective citizens.
- We will seek solutions as
well as expose problems and wrongdoing.
- We will provide a public
forum for diverse people and views.
- We will reflect and encourage
understanding of the diverse segments of our community.
- We will provide editorial
and community leadership.
- We will seek to promote
understanding of complex issues.
Exercising fair play
- We will treat people with
dignity, respect and compassion.
- We will correct errors promptly.
- We will strive to include
all sides relevant to a story and not take sides in news coverage.
- We will explain to readers
our journalistic processes.
- We will give particular
attention to fairness in relations with people unaccustomed to
dealing with the press.
- We will use unnamed sources
as the sole basis for published information only as a last resort
and under specified procedures that best serve the public's right
- We will be accessible to
- We will remain free of outside
interests, investments or business relationships that may compromise
the credibility of our news report.
- We will maintain an impartial,
arm's length relationship with anyone seeking to influence the
- We will avoid potential
conflicts of interest and eliminate inappropriate influence on
- We will be free of improper
obligations to news sources, newsmakers and advertisers.
- We will differentiate advertising
Acting with Integrity
- We will act honorably and
ethically in dealing with news sources, the public and our colleagues.
- We will obey the law.
- We will observe common standards
- We will take responsibility
for our decisions and consider the possible consequences of our
- We will be conscientious
in observing these Principles.
- We will always try to do
the right thing.
If you have questions or would
like to talk with someone about these principles, contact our executive
editor, Bob Gabordi at 321-242-3607 or by e-mail.